Individual students

Last update: March 31, 2021

You are an international student and you wish to register to prepare or obtain a French diploma at UPVM3?

The Service de la Mobilité Internationale Individuelle (SMII) will help you throughout the process.

COVID-19 health crisis:

The University is constantly adapting to exceptional measures.
The SMII team remain at your disposal. Please make an appointment before going to the site.

☞ You can contact us at:

                                                                                       LIVE NEWS

  • Following the vote of the Board of Directors on January 12, 2021, the Presidency of the Université Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3 will exempt non-EU students who are subject to the differentiated portion of fees, for the entire range of courses on offer for 2021-2022 academic year

The University Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3 offers a wide range of training courses. Your choice must take into account your previous studies and your professional project.

Our courses are taught in French.

Please note: some courses are not open to international students. For more information, please contact us.

         ▷ Consult the course offer of the University Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3

The application procedure to follow depends on:

  • your nationality
  • the country in which you obtained your high school diploma or bachelor's degree
  • the country where you live
  • the training year

For more details, click below according to your choice:

    Bachelor's degree (L1, L2, L3, LPro)
    Master's degree (M1, M2)
    Doctorate degree

☞ Any application sent by email will be automatically rejected. No answer will be communicated before the decision of the pedagogical commission.

From License 2, and for all applications in art, design, fashion, music, architecture, etc. please go through CampusArt (see flyer).

Following the vote of the Board of Directors on January 12, 2021, the Presidency of the Université Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3 will exempt non-EU students who are subject to the differentiated portion of fees, for the entire range of courses on offer for 2021-2022 academic year.

For the academic year 2021-2022, international students will have to pay €170 for a Bachelor's degree and €243 for a Master's degree.

Before Your Arrival in France

The Pedagogical Commission has issued a favorable opinion as regards your application.

If you are a non-EU citizen, you must apply for a long or short stay study visa at the French Embassy or Consulate in your country before your departure.

☞ For more information, visit the SAIEC multiservice platform.
☞ Tutorials available here.

Whether you choose student, private or homestay accommodation, you should start your search as soon as you receive the acceptance email from the University Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3.

☞ For more information, visit the SAIEC multiservice platform.
☞ Tutorials available here.

The average monthly budget for a student living in Montpellier is estimated at about €850.

As an indication, here are some examples to better evaluate your expenses during your stay:

  • Rent: between €400 and €600/month
  • Electricity, water and gas: €30/month
  • Food expenses: about €200/month
  • University restaurants (CROUS): from €3.30.
  • Public transportation (TaM): subscriptions -26 years old: €28; +26 years old: €53.50.
  • Phone and Internet subscriptions: between €20 and €45/month

Before your administrative registration and upon receipt of your visa, you must pay the Student Life and Campus Contribution (CVEC).

For more information.
☞ Tutorials available here.

Campus Life

         ▷ Administrative registration (IA):

Following your admission to the Université Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3, you will receive an email in July/August summarizing the administrative registration procedure which will take place on site. You will find in this message:

  • An OPI code (composed of numbers and letters)
  • A link to make an appointment

You will be able to download the registration form, to which you must attach the originals and copies of the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Attestation of payment of the CVEC (Student Life and Campus Contribution)
  • Passport photo to be glued on the folder

The originals and copies of the following documents, with their certified translations in French only:

  • Your birth certificate
  •  All your diplomas and transcripts from the Baccalaureate (high school graduation certificate) onwards
  •  Your level of French language (some cases are exempted: contact us)

You will need to provide a means of payment to validate your registration: credit card, French check or bank transfer*.

(*registration fee included only, without bank charges)

Once the administrative registration is completed, you will receive your school attendance certificate, your student card and access to your Digital Work Environment (ENT).

Warning: any incomplete file will be rejected.

         ▷ Pedagogical registration (IP) :

Following your administrative registration, you will need to complete your pedagogical registration. This is an imperative step in order for you to take the exams. It is done directly online on your personal Digital Work Environment (ENT).

International sponsorship is a personalized welcome for international students newly arrived in Montpellier so that you can be accompanied and guided during the first two months of your move.

For more information.

The SUAPS (Service Universitaire des Activités Physiques et Sportives) of the University Paul-Valéry offers you the possibility to practice physical activities during the academic year.

☞ For more information, visit the SUAPS website.

The university is also a time to discover, build, share, meet, create, innovate, help each other, reflect, in short to blossom and move forward.

The Maison des Étudiants accompanies you outside your classes: life and associative activities, events, support for student projects, and more. For further information, click here.

Your Stay in Montpellier

Upon arrival, and depending on the type of visa you have obtained, you will have to regulate your stay in France.

☞ For more information, visit the SAIEC multiservice platform.
☞ For the renewal of your residence permit, see the tutorial here.

         ▷ Social Security System:

As an international student, you can benefit from the French social security system for the duration of your studies in France. It is up to you to take the necessary steps to join the general Social Security system to the Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (CPAM). You can register online via the Ameli website by providing your school attendance certificate.

☞ If you hold the European Health Insurance Card, you are not concerned by this procedure.
☞ Tutorials available here.

         ▷ Additional healthcare cover:

Additional healthcare cover supplements the amount reimbursed by the Social Security System. Prices vary according to your age and the chosen formula. It is not mandatory.

         ▷ The SUMPPS :

The SUMPPS (Students' health) is here for you at the University Paul-Valéry Montpellier 3. For more information.

The TaM (Transports de l'Agglomération de Montpellier) services ensure your travel throughout the metropolitan area with its vast transport network: tramways, bus lines and bike rentals.

If you prefer to go cycling, Montpellier is made for you with its 160 km of cycling facilities and continuous cycling network.

Visit the TaM website to find out the rates applied and organize your trips in advance, or visit one of the 3 TaM Espaces Mobilité in Montpellier.

In order to facilitate your administrative procedures and the payment of your invoices, among other things, you should open a French bank account. Please contact your home bank to find out about possible partnerships.

Opening a bank account is generally free and requires:

  • proof of identity
  • a residence permit or visa
  • proof of residence in France (gas or electricity bill, rent receipt, etc.).
  • a school attendance certificate to benefit from possible advantages.

☞ Tutorials available here.

Last updated : 15/06/2021