Residence permit: 

This does not apply to you if you are a European student. If you are a foreign national from outside the European Union and you would like to study in France, you must hold a Long-Stay Visa valid as Residence Permit (VLS-TS) or a Long-Stay Visa valid as ‘Student’ Residence Permit (VLS-TS for Students). You must meet certain conditions to obtain your permit, particularly on your arrival in France. UPV’s Welcome Desk for International Students & Researchers or SAIEC (Service Accueil International Étudiants/Chercheurs) ( can help you through this process.

Long-stay visa: In order to obtain a residence permit for more than three months, you must first obtain a long-stay visa from the French consulate in your country of origin or residence. If you are a student holding a VLS-TS arriving in France for the first time, you must have it validated by the French Office for Immigration and Integration (OFII) within three months of arriving in France at the very latest. The process is entirely digital; everything is done online via the Ministry of the Interior website (


Renewing your residence permit:  Before your first residence permit expires, you must apply to renew it at the prefecture of the département you reside in. You can apply for a VLS-TS for Students (valid 1 year) or, under certain conditions, a Multi-Annual Student Residence Permit (valid 2 to 4 years). The process is also entirely digital; everything is done online via the Ministry of the Interior website ( We recommend taking these steps 2 to 4 months prior to the expiry date of your residence permit.


Information on accommodation is detailed in our [housing] section.

Student and Campus Life Contribution or CVEC (La Contribution Vie Étudiante et de Campus):

This does not apply to you if you are an international exchange student in France. During the administrative component of university enrolment, you must provide proof of CVEC payment. The purpose of this contribution, € 95 for the 2022-2023 academic year, is to help create, consolidate, and strengthen various services in your host institution: healthcare, social support, athletics, artistic and cultural events, etc. You must complete this process on the CVEC website ( before you register at the university.

Opening a French bank account: 

 In order to facilitate administrative processes and the payment of invoices, among other things, we recommend opening a French bank account.  You should also check with your home bank for possible partnerships. Opening a bank account is usually free of charge and requires:

. a piece of identification

. a residence permit or visa

. proof of address in France (gas or electricity bill, rent receipt, etc.)

. a certificate of school enrolment for possible benefits.

Last updated : 13/09/2022